The US Postal Service issued the Yogi Berra stamp today. This forever stamp was dedicated during a ceremony at the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center in Little Falls, NJ. The stamp is now being sold at Post Office stations nationwide and online. They'll add a happy touch to your envelopes.
A larger than life personality both on and off the field, Yogi Berra was one of the greatest Major League Baseball players of all time. He won three American League MVP awards, was an 18-time MLB All Star, and played in the World Series in 14 of his 18 seasons with the Yankees.
Berra became almost as well known for his paradoxical sayings, Yogi-isms, as for his skill on the baseball diamond. Several of the quotes attributed to him appear in Bartlett’s familiar quotations. Here's a dozen of his best:
- I never said everything I said.
- It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.
- You can observe a lot of things just by watching.
- It’s like déjà vu all over again.
- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.
- Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
- The future ain’t what it used to be.
- Never answer an anonymous letter.
- It gets late early out here.
- You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
- I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.